Jump to content

Warranty Claim Rejection


Recommended Posts

Hello all;

 

I had recently had my warranty claim rejected for a gearbox oil leak.

 

The issue was noticed on the 7th of June 2024 when my car was in for a service at VW Sutton Coldfield and on the 4th of July, I had the car rebooked in for the warranty team to look at it and was kept at the garage until the 5th of July 2024 for investigation.

 

I purchased the car on the 27th of December 2023 with a Haldex oil change done before I had even brought the car which was done on the 21st of December 2023. Additionally, the MOT was done on the same day with the only advisories was the following:

Repair immediately (major defects)

 

Brake disc significantly and obviously worn Nearside Front (scored pitted on inner) [1.1.14 (a)

Brake disc significantly and obviously worn Offside Front (scored pitted on inner)

 

The issues was fixed and the MOT was done again, there was no indication of the gearbox leaking.

 

The car had approximately 44377 miles with one previous owner and full-service history and has now only done approximately 48000 miles.

 

On the 09th of July 2024 I had my warranty claim rejected with the warranty team stating the cause of the leak was due to corrosion I am still waiting for the pictures. I had the service advisor rang me the same day stating a new gearbox is needed and would cost around 10 grand (£10,000) to fix.

 

I will post the warranty team pictures of the corrosion when they send them.

 

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Dilly96 said:

Hello all;

 

I had recently had my warranty claim rejected for a gearbox oil leak.

 

The issue was noticed on the 7th of June 2024 when my car was in for a service at VW Sutton Coldfield and on the 4th of July, I had the car rebooked in for the warranty team to look at it and was kept at the garage until the 5th of July 2024 for investigation.

 

I purchased the car on the 27th of December 2023 with a Haldex oil change done before I had even brought the car which was done on the 21st of December 2023. Additionally, the MOT was done on the same day with the only advisories was the following:

Repair immediately (major defects)

 

Brake disc significantly and obviously worn Nearside Front (scored pitted on inner) [1.1.14 (a)

Brake disc significantly and obviously worn Offside Front (scored pitted on inner)

 

The issues was fixed and the MOT was done again, there was no indication of the gearbox leaking.

 

The car had approximately 44377 miles with one previous owner and full-service history and has now only done approximately 48000 miles.

 

On the 09th of July 2024 I had my warranty claim rejected with the warranty team stating the cause of the leak was due to corrosion I am still waiting for the pictures. I had the service advisor rang me the same day stating a new gearbox is needed and would cost around 10 grand (£10,000) to fix.

 

I will post the warranty team pictures of the corrosion when they send them.

 

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. 


I would get on the phone to vw customer services 0800333666

explain what has happened and see what they can do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, delboy01 said:


I would get on the phone to vw customer services 0800333666

explain what has happened and see what they can do.

I've sent a email to them regarding the issue, just waiting for the reply now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, fastandy said:

Who did you buy the car from as your most obvious consumer remedy is from them? 

I brought the car from a independent dealership, it came with a free six month warranty but has now expired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Dilly96 said:

I brought the car from a independent dealership, it came with a free six month warranty but has now expired.

Yes. But the expiry of the probably near worthless insured warranty is mostly an irrelevant distraction. Forget about that  

 

The statutory warranty for consumer rights cover you for UP TO 6 years from your purchase second hand.

 

But it does get harder to prove after 6 months as the onus to prove the fault was in existence moves to you, the purchaser after 6 months.

 

In your circumstances it doesn't sound too difficult to get a engineer to report on the problem and how long it likely goes back, ie beyond 6 months.

 

Once you do some googling on consumer rights act on vehicle purchases, I suggest you ring and then write a letter to the used dealer. In all likelihood they're going to try to fob you off but you need to be onto it, persistent and know the rights in the protection. Do not discuss the insured warranty they gave you for 6 months, it's irrelevant now and mostly a distraction tactic to protect them. 

 

Edit. Don't waste too much time on vw, they have no obligations to you under the consumer rights act. Yes, you can ask but it will be discretionary good will and they can simply say "no". The only other Avenue with vw is to prove  negligence, and that is much more onerous than the responsibility laid out in statutory protection. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dilly96 said:

I've sent a email to them regarding the issue, just waiting for the reply now

I wouldn't hold out much hope for help from VW Customer Services. Its now an international call centre with representatives that know little or anything about VW products

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, fastandy said:

I wonder is this a dsg where the oil cooler has failed (corroded and holed through). That's what immidiately sprung to my mind... 

I'm still waiting for the photos of the corrosion 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, fastandy said:

Yes. But the expiry of the probably near worthless insured warranty is mostly an irrelevant distraction. Forget about that  

 

The statutory warranty for consumer rights cover you for UP TO 6 years from your purchase second hand.

 

But it does get harder to prove after 6 months as the onus to prove the fault was in existence moves to you, the purchaser after 6 months.

 

In your circumstances it doesn't sound too difficult to get a engineer to report on the problem and how long it likely goes back, ie beyond 6 months.

 

Once you do some googling on consumer rights act on vehicle purchases, I suggest you ring and then write a letter to the used dealer. In all likelihood they're going to try to fob you off but you need to be onto it, persistent and know the rights in the protection. Do not discuss the insured warranty they gave you for 6 months, it's irrelevant now and mostly a distraction tactic to protect them. 

 

Edit. Don't waste too much time on vw, they have no obligations to you under the consumer rights act. Yes, you can ask but it will be discretionary good will and they can simply say "no". The only other Avenue with vw is to prove  negligence, and that is much more onerous than the responsibility laid out in statutory protection. 

Thanks for the information provided, I'll contact the dealership.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TheBlondeFella said:

I wouldn't hold out much hope for help from VW Customer Services. Its now an international call centre with representatives that know little or anything about VW products

 

I thought this was from a vw main dealer. As you purchased a non vw approved car they won't help you. 
You pay more for a vw approved car that comes with two year warranty rather than 6 months. 
Sounds like you'll have to take things legal if all else fails.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/07/2024 at 06:55, fastandy said:

Yes. But the expiry of the probably near worthless insured warranty is mostly an irrelevant distraction. Forget about that  

 

The statutory warranty for consumer rights cover you for UP TO 6 years from your purchase second hand.

 

But it does get harder to prove after 6 months as the onus to prove the fault was in existence moves to you, the purchaser after 6 months.

 

In your circumstances it doesn't sound too difficult to get a engineer to report on the problem and how long it likely goes back, ie beyond 6 months.

 

Once you do some googling on consumer rights act on vehicle purchases, I suggest you ring and then write a letter to the used dealer. In all likelihood they're going to try to fob you off but you need to be onto it, persistent and know the rights in the protection. Do not discuss the insured warranty they gave you for 6 months, it's irrelevant now and mostly a distraction tactic to protect them. 

 

Edit. Don't waste too much time on vw, they have no obligations to you under the consumer rights act. Yes, you can ask but it will be discretionary good will and they can simply say "no". The only other Avenue with vw is to prove  negligence, and that is much more onerous than the responsibility laid out in statutory protection. 

I've since contacted the dealership I purchased the car from its currently being investigated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/07/2024 at 09:42, fastandy said:

I wonder is this a dsg where the oil cooler has failed (corroded and holed through). That's what immidiately sprung to my mind... 

Im not 100% sure as of yet, I have contacted both the Warranty team and VW Sutton for photos, but they have not come back to me since.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Current Donation Goals

    • Raised £170
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...