harryhackenbacker

MK 7 R OPERATING TIPS/TRICKS

On 13/03/2018 at 14:42, Idylla said:

This is my current plan!

I've disabled via OBDEleven and while I now have to press the engine stop button - when getting out of the car :( I'm much happier overall.

3 hours ago, slider09 said:

Or just press the bottom on the bottom of the b pillar if you have it.

Unfortunately it seems said button is yet another casualty of VW's recent cost-cutting exercises ( I suppose they have to pay for their USA dieselgate fines somehow  ;)  )

It is much easier to use the button in my Octavia when I want to temporarily disable the interior motion sensors.

Question...

Driving in M4 yesterday when suddenly tyre pressure warning light came on. Was approaching exit, car felt fine, so slowed and left motorway. Pulled over once off motorway and all tyres looked okay (realise pressing with finger not scientific but only a short way to destination). When arrived at sons house, borrowed his footpump and pressure gauge and all tyres at same pressure (36 psi).

left the car an hour and checked again, all good.

reset tyre pressure monitoring, and drove home today, no lights showing. Checked tyres at home and all pressures fine.

Guessing an electronic glitch? Anyone else had this?

8 minutes ago, Shug said:

Question...

Driving in M4 yesterday when suddenly tyre pressure warning light came on. Was approaching exit, car felt fine, so slowed and left motorway. Pulled over once off motorway and all tyres looked okay (realise pressing with finger not scientific but only a short way to destination). When arrived at sons house, borrowed his footpump and pressure gauge and all tyres at same pressure (36 psi).

left the car an hour and checked again, all good.

reset tyre pressure monitoring, and drove home today, no lights showing. Checked tyres at home and all pressures fine.

Guessing an electronic glitch? Anyone else had this?

Had this happen on mine, on one occaision it had dropped 2 psi.

i really hate the system and consider it very low rent / cost saving exercise by VW.

for the price sector the car is sitting in, it should allow you to see pressures and temperatures real time.

far too many false positives with this cheap type of system.

1 hour ago, Gavras said:

Had this happen on mine, on one occaision it had dropped 2 psi.

i really hate the system and consider it very low rent / cost saving exercise by VW.

for the price sector the car is sitting in, it should allow you to see pressures and temperatures real time.

far too many false positives with this cheap type of system.

Agree. Even SWMBOs Corsa has actual pressures displayed on the dash once you scroll through the menus...

Hi, any tips on parking in a space on a road, up a hill, with dsg ?

Hadn’t thought about it before, but just tried. Didn’t want to lunge into car in front so drive off to find another road.

With autobrake on you have to press accelerator quite a bit before moving (always turn it off when parking in garage so can just creep along).

Can’t just slowly release hand brake like a manual one.

What does everyone else do ???

4 minutes ago, FoxyTiger said:

Hadn’t thought about it before, but just tried. Didn’t want to lunge into car in front so drive off to find another road.

With autobrake on you have to press accelerator quite a bit before moving (always turn it off when parking in garage so can just creep along).

I temporarily turn off auto-hold in that situation.  It's then easy to creep forwards or backwards just by releasing the brake pressure, no need to touch the accelerator.

Edit: I might have misunderstood!

11 minutes ago, FoxyTiger said:

If you need to just disengage autohold so you can complete small manoeuvres, allow creep, then pop it back on at the end.  You soon get used to it.  I never bother disengaging autohold as have measure of it and can anticipate the delay and lurch and it’s second nature to me to account for that, but if very small parking manoeuvres are needed it’s easy enough to temp switch autohold off.  No issues at all parking on hills. 

11 minutes ago, AdeA said:

I temporarily turn off auto-hold in that situation.  It's then easy to creep forwards or backwards just by releasing the brake pressure, no need to touch the accelerator.

Edit: I might have misunderstood!

I turned autohold off temporarily, but then when I released the foot brake the car felt like it started to move back down the hill so reapplied the foot brake as was close to the car behind.

15 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

If you need to just disengage autohold so you can complete small manoeuvres, allow creep, then pop it back on at the end.  You soon get used to it.  I never bother disengaging autohold as have measure of it and can anticipate the delay and lurch and it’s second nature to me to account for that, but if very small parking manoeuvres are needed it’s easy enough to temp switch autohold off.  No issues at all parking on hills. 

Guess I need to practice small manoeuvres on a hill with no other cars around 

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2014 at 14:23, AgentFruit said:

With stop/start engaged, half depress brake to engage autohold, come off brake and engine will stay on for duration of that stop. Engine will only stop if brake is fully depressed. Great feature that prevents stop/start from being irritating.

I use Race Mode all the time. Start-Stop is deactivated in Race and Sport Mode. Unfortunately, I had my battery replaced and Stop-Start started working in Race Mode also. Start - Stop in Race Mode?  Silly😁

On 10/04/2017 at 03:44, 75Type2 said:

Where I have spacers fitted. I use pencils to retain the spacers in the event they come away from the hub.
Will invest in some modified threaded rod for future use, although I'm pretty sure I could buy said product off the shelf.

Only skimmed through this thread, but this tip is genius. Was taking my Spielbergs off to weigh them (11.7kg) and the spacers fell off and went clang against the inside of wheel. Would prefer to not run spacers at all but they're needed to clear the APR BBK with stock wheels.