Hi Guys,

Looked around online but most opinions are from over the pond.

What would you guys recommend and why? I was leaning towards the VWR sport springs but I'm on the fence...

I heard H&R springs wear a lot faster and slightly harsher ride quality? is this true?

I'll be running stock 19 Tallys if that makes a difference.

Cheers :)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

Looked around online but most opinions are from over the pond.

What would you guys recommend and why? I was leaning towards the VWR sport springs but I'm on the fence...

I heard H&R springs wear a lot faster and slightly harsher ride quality? is this true?

I'll be running stock 19 Tallys if that makes a difference.

Cheers :)

I put VW R springs on mine. They were OK because they made the car lower and therefore look better (debatable though) but Mrs R Soul complained so much about the harsh ride I had to get rid. And that was in comfort mode on my ACC and on my 18" VW R alloys. If I'd been on my original 19" Tallys god knows what the ride would've been like!

If you're looking to enhance the handling, I'd not go for springs but spend the money on front/rear ARBs and some 18" low weight alloys. VW Racing ones were my choice (for the ARBs too) but they're only the Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2s but without the writing on the rims. The difference these two relatively small mods make to the handling is substantial.

However if you're considering doing it just for looks, go for whichever springs you can get the best deal on. IMO it won't make a blind bit of difference apart from give your dentist some more work when your fillings all fall out due to the ride!

It just so happens that I have some H&R springs for sale :wink:

However, I do agree with Viv - a bit part of springs is aesthetics. Mine sat lovely on H&Rs, handled well (probably working with the other suspension mods I've done) but still rolled a bit even in DCC Sport mode. The ride was a bit crashier than stock, but not uncomfortable, even in Sport - though I am on 18s.

The real benefits come from coilovers, ALK, alloy arms, bushes, adjustable ball joints and lighter wheels. I've had Bilsteins PSS10 B16s on for less than 24hrs and it's fair to say I'm a total convert.

It all depends if you want to make it handle like it's on rails or just make it sit a bit lower. Nothing wrong with either. But it just depends on your goals.

However, I do agree with Viv - a bit part of springs is aesthetics. Mine sat lovely on H&Rs, handled well (probably working with the other suspension mods I've done) but still rolled a bit even in DCC Sport mode. The ride was a bit crashier that stock, but not uncomfortable, even in Sport - though I am on 18s.

The real benefits come from coilovers, ALK, alloy arms, bushes, adjustable ball joints and lighter wheels. I've had Bilsteins PSS10 B16s on for less than 24hrs and it's fair to say I'm a total convert.

It all depends if you want to make it handle like it's on rails or just make it sit a bit lower. Nothing wrong with either. But it just depends on your goals.

Thanks for the feedback :smiley: . To be honest this is mostly for aesthetics as next year I plan to be on air ride :afro: .

Thanks for the offer on the springs but I'm thinking of going brand new as there is an offer happening with one of the forum sponsors. Thanks though! :beer:

However, I do agree with Viv - a bit part of springs is aesthetics. Mine sat lovely on H&Rs, handled well (probably working with the other suspension mods I've done) but still rolled a bit even in DCC Sport mode. The ride was a bit crashier that stock, but not uncomfortable, even in Sport - though I am on 18s.

Jack - Sorry for going slightly off topic....

Gaz - Is the only thing your missing for the ultimate set up, is the alloy front hubs?

Alan :dontknow:

Jack - Sorry for going slightly off topic....

Gaz - Is the only thing your missing for the ultimate set up, is the alloy front hubs?

Alan :dontknow:

Hi Alan,

I'm sure there's a case for polybushing all round as well as the alloy hubs, but yeah I'd say I'm getting close to a great set up. The car goes in on Monday for a revised geom, so I'll have more feedback then, but honestly I can't explain how happy I am with the move to the Bilsteins.

I was a little anxious that the ride would be super hard, and whilst I'm sure it could be set much harder, the settings Statller have recommended is superb.

I'll detail more in my build thread later :afro:

• 7 years later...

Bumping up an old useful thread. So my EDC shocks are blown on my ROW spec MK6R. I have been running on H&R springs for 80,000km.

But Now we have a baby so I was thinking of changing the shocks to performance or US OE shocks as I am not paying $3000 for stupid EDC shocks from VW.

a lot of you seem to be saying the VWR springs are harsher than the H&R's is that still the fact after 8 years of this thread being created? Any advice on good suspension combos would be appreciated. I have already ordered the EDC cancellation modules from EIBACH so there will be no errors on the dash after going for non EDC shocks.