JoeGTI7

Irish R owners thread

Hi all,

A few current and prospective Irish R owners are taking one of the other threads way off topic so I thought better to start a dedicated thread :) With the recent big price cuts and spec improvements, VW have finally made the R a realistic purchase in Ireland!.

I'm currently in a MK7 GTI and i ordered an R last week for delivery in July. Spec is:

5 door DSG

Lapiz blue

Pretorias

Vienna leather

Keyless

Driver Profile Selection

Technology pack.

Also, I asked for a BW22, so as to avail of the coming upgrades to the media units...

Can't wait!

Excellent idea, before we all got ourselves banned! 

I'm making the jump from a much-loved Mk5 GTi. Spec is:

5 Door DSG

Lapiz (although sorry I didn't go for Limestone Grey now tbh)

Cadiz

Vienna Leather

DCC

Tech Pack

Having heard about this potential change to media units in BW22, will likely push for the same. Half thinking I'll do well to get it for 152 reg anyway.

Need to find out more about this Mondello story as well. Would be a quality way to get used to what the car (someone else's car) can do!

Thanks for having me...

Hi,

New to the forum and also living in Ireland, I'm probably going to be ordering an R this week. I'm till very slightly tempted to go with a GTI PP but considering there's such a small price difference between it and the R in my preferred spec hopefully I'll see the light and pull the trigger on the R!!

JoeGTI7, could you tell me what the Driver Profile Selection is, can't seem to find it on the product guide?

Also, what are the upgrades to the media units in build week 22?

Many thanks.

Looking forward to contributing to the forum, it has already been a very useful source of information for me

Alex

Great tread!!! 

5dr DSG

Pure White

Tech Pack

Cadiz 

Vienna Leather

only thing I regret is the driver profile selection..... thought it was only available with DCC. 

Hopefuly it can be retro fitted if I miss it that much.

Good stuff, looks like there's a few of us on here!

@Alex - I think I recognise your username from Autostadt.ie? Did you recently sell an Edition 30?

The Driver Profile Selection isn't in the product guide. I had to dig around and find the option code for it myself ("PDA") and I gave that code to the dealer. He contacted VW Ireland and they were able to add it to the options and quoted €150 for it on the R. It gives you the button to the top left of the gearstick and it allows you toggle between Normal-Comfort-Eco-Race modes in the car. For example, Race mode switches the DSG to Sport, it increases throttle response and steering, makes the sound actuator louder, etc. It does also come bundled with the DCC option if you'd spec'd that.

The standard media unit (the basic nav / radio) are getting upgraded in May (BW22). Larger screens with much better resolution and possibly also compatibility with carplay / mirrorlink, not sure about that. These units are already in the new Passat.

Perhaps this thread could be made a sticky?

Another Irish user here.

Ordered in Spetember and collected my R in February from Blackwater motors fermoy. 

Specs are:

5door DSG

Lapiz Blue

Tech pack (free!!!)

Keyless

Panoramic sunroof

DCC

Discover pro nav 

Winter pack

Dynaudio

I know it was silly getting the pro nav as it the normal nav is part of the tech pack but found the 5.8" small, slow and pretty much unbearable.. was so disappointed as my RNS510 did a far better job on my previous MK6. 

Damo

Hi all

Picked mine up in early Feb so just over 3500kms on it at this stage.  Trying to only use it every second week (with the 535d) for the commute to keep the mileage reasonable...but it's tough

5 door

DSG

Leather

Tech pack

19" Cadiz

Loving the ACC, dynamic lights and especially the 4wd.  Dont think I've seen the TC light yet, compared to almost every day in the 535d.

16415016039_819bc30cc0.jpg

16599683081_ea4cae75db.jpg

16413833060_0f7e7f41c0.jpg

Hi all

Picked mine up in early Feb so just over 3500kms on it at this stage.  Trying to only use it every second week (with the 535d) for the commute to keep the mileage reasonable...but it's tough

5 door

DSG

Leather

Tech pack

19" Cadiz

Loving the ACC, dynamic lights and especially the 4wd.  Dont think I've seen the TC light yet, compared to almost every day in the 535d.

16415016039_819bc30cc0.jpg

16599683081_ea4cae75db.jpg

16413833060_0f7e7f41c0.jpg

Nice machine dude!!!

My one will be same except it will be pure white!

19" Cadis, look absolutely fantastic!

I'm Irish (albeit up North a bit...) and have ordered the following:

3dr Mk7 R

Tornado Red

DSG

Not a bit spec, but the only option I wanted really was the DSG :) Currently sitting at a port in Emdem, where it has been for over 3 weeks...