Time to replace the R….

Martin2

We’ve decided now is the time to replace my wife’s (much loved) R, it’s the longest we’ve ever had a car at close to 6 years, which says an awful lot.    It is part of a bigger plan for the ‘fleet’, I’ve decided to get ‘something for the weekend’ keeping the Panamera as my daily and replacing the Golf with something that’s a sensible cost to maximise the funds.  My wife has access to a green car scheme (salary sacrifice), so it will be a lease, first time I haven’t bought a car for cash in over 10 years.   Not a problem though, as I think leasing is the best way to go with an EV and we’ll tuck the money saved for the R replacement plus whatever it sells for in savings, so it’s easy to go back in the future.

We’ve decided to focus on her car first, then start thinking about what else to get but currently thinking a lightly used 992 GTS or a Roma.  Back to the point of this post….

We looked around a number of dealerships a week ago, made a shortlist and booked test drives yesterday; Model 3, Ioniq 5, i4 and the wildcard which was an M240i (clearly not on a green car scheme…)

To cut a long story short, as I don’t have a hat….I’m going to have to make a humble pie as I’ve never been particularly kinds about Teslas.   In my defence, the new model looks quite a bit better than the original, especially if it isn’t white with 18” wheel trims.   I’ve been a passenger in several (as recently as last week) as a few of my team have them and the new model is a real step forward in quality, comfort and refinement, but retains the quick steering and does drive really well even when pressing on.  

We drove the RWD model and you’d sware it was the Long Range as most of the time it feels quicker than the Golf.   It doesn’t feel much bigger either and my wife has gone from not wanting to even look at one last week, to feeling very apprehensive about driving one (no stalks, one pedal driving) to having a big grin on her face and calling it a space ship.  The sensible option would be to go for the RWD, which would only cost £550 a month (no deposit and all in, so inc insurance, tax, tyres etc) and it plenty quick enough for a daily plus has decent range.  However, I think we’ll end up with the Long Range with the expensive paint and 19” wheels which is about £650 a month.   Still a decent saving over what she puts to one side at the moment.

The Ioniq 5 was a bit SUV like and wallowy, didn’t feel all that quick (Ultimate AWD) and you can’t get a panoramic roof.   The i4 was nice enough, but not as good to drive, very close on interior quality, expensive when you add all the packs and I really don’t like the grille and slabs of grey plastic.   Really liked the M240i, but not really practical enough for a daily when you have a 4 year old and I’ll scratch the coupe itch with something a bit more special.  

My Dad is going to be so disappointed in me……😂

4 hours ago, Martin2 said:

We’ve decided now is the time to replace my wife’s (much loved) R, it’s the longest we’ve ever had a car at close to 6 years, which says an awful lot.    It is part of a bigger plan for the ‘fleet’, I’ve decided to get ‘something for the weekend’ keeping the Panamera as my daily and replacing the Golf with something that’s a sensible cost to maximise the funds.  My wife has access to a green car scheme (salary sacrifice), so it will be a lease, first time I haven’t bought a car for cash in over 10 years.   Not a problem though, as I think leasing is the best way to go with an EV and we’ll tuck the money saved for the R replacement plus whatever it sells for in savings, so it’s easy to go back in the future.

We’ve decided to focus on her car first, then start thinking about what else to get but currently thinking a lightly used 992 GTS or a Roma.  Back to the point of this post….

We looked around a number of dealerships a week ago, made a shortlist and booked test drives yesterday; Model 3, Ioniq 5, i4 and the wildcard which was an M240i (clearly not on a green car scheme…)

To cut a long story short, as I don’t have a hat….I’m going to have to make a humble pie as I’ve never been particularly kinds about Teslas.   In my defence, the new model looks quite a bit better than the original, especially if it isn’t white with 18” wheel trims.   I’ve been a passenger in several (as recently as last week) as a few of my team have them and the new model is a real step forward in quality, comfort and refinement, but retains the quick steering and does drive really well even when pressing on.  

We drove the RWD model and you’d sware it was the Long Range as most of the time it feels quicker than the Golf.   It doesn’t feel much bigger either and my wife has gone from not wanting to even look at one last week, to feeling very apprehensive about driving one (no stalks, one pedal driving) to having a big grin on her face and calling it a space ship.  The sensible option would be to go for the RWD, which would only cost £550 a month (no deposit and all in, so inc insurance, tax, tyres etc) and it plenty quick enough for a daily plus has decent range.  However, I think we’ll end up with the Long Range with the expensive paint and 19” wheels which is about £650 a month.   Still a decent saving over what she puts to one side at the moment.

The Ioniq 5 was a bit SUV like and wallowy, didn’t feel all that quick (Ultimate AWD) and you can’t get a panoramic roof.   The i4 was nice enough, but not as good to drive, very close on interior quality, expensive when you add all the packs and I really don’t like the grille and slabs of grey plastic.   Really liked the M240i, but not really practical enough for a daily when you have a 4 year old and I’ll scratch the coupe itch with something a bit more special.  

My Dad is going to be so disappointed in me……😂

Your dad will get over it….eventually.  😄

It sounds like Mrs Martin2 was converted quite swiftly by the Tesla spaceship charms.  😁  It’ll feel really fresh after a long time in the R and must feel super modern by comparison…not that the M7.5 is dated (in fact I think it’s holding up well in that respect).  When will it arrive and importantly if not the ubiquitous white, what colour has she chosen?  

Leasing sounds like a sensible move.  I think it is the logical way to go with EVs at this time.  

She’s getting ahead of the game.  We’ll all be driving Tesla’s soon enough!  

Of course it goes without saying, but I will - photos and report when it arrives.  🙂

The 7.5R is a great car and the new R is still a fantastic all rounder but we’re in the great position to be able to get a balance across a couple of cars. 

It took about 2-3mins to convert her…

Looks like it will be the most expensive colour….Ultra red with the 19” alloy wheels and black interior. 

Not sure on the lead time, but won’t be too long.  She has to get a firm quote now as the cost may vary depending on postcode and age, so she’ll send the enquiry off tomorrow.  

2 minutes ago, Dollyman said:

Was that the 5N ?

No, it was the Ultimate AWD.   They don’t have an N demonstrator yet, but as good as it sounds to drive you can’t have memory seats and it’s close to £1,000 a month. 

My wife placed the order today, it’s ended up being £700 a month but that’s OK.  It will look like this but with a black interior, I know it won’t be to many peoples taste on here but at least it looks quite a bit better than it used to….!

GE73xv1XEAAx8fB.jpg-large.jpeg

GE73xv1XoAAsWkF.jpeg

• 1 month later...

It arrived.  Colour looks great in the sunshine, will be even better in a couple of days after spending time with a local detailer (light polish to add gloss then ceramic coated)

Time to start thinking about selling the R now…just need to decide on Motorway vs Carwow.   No rush I guess, although the insurance is up in 4 weeks so would make sense for it to go before that’s due.

IMG_8232.jpeg

On 25/06/2024 at 12:45, Martin2 said:

It arrived.  Colour looks great in the sunshine, will be even better in a couple of days after spending time with a local detailer (light polish to add gloss then ceramic coated)

Time to start thinking about selling the R now…just need to decide on Motorway vs Carwow.   No rush I guess, although the insurance is up in 4 weeks so would make sense for it to go before that’s due.

IMG_8232.jpeg

Looks very nice, very sleek Martin!  Hope Mrs Martin is thrilled with it, and that it proves to be a worthy successor to the trusty R.  You’ll have to share some post detailed pics with us.  Some close ups of that paint in the sun too.  

I put it straight in the garage when it was done and it hasn’t been out since, so only one picture post detailing.  It does sparkle in the sun and there are nice variations to the colour depending on the light.  The detailer said the paint it quite soft, but so much better than Teslas used to be in terms of quality, you’d hope so when they charge an extra £2k for it!

IMG_1236.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Martin2 said:

I put it straight in the garage when it was done and it hasn’t been out since, so only one picture post detailing.  It does sparkle in the sun and there are nice variations to the colour depending on the light.  The detailer said the paint it quite soft, but so much better than Teslas used to be in terms of quality, you’d hope so when they charge an extra £2k for it!

IMG_1236.jpeg

You can see the clarity of the paint from that lovely rear! Good to hear the Tesla paint quality is on the rise.