Jump to content

Mk1R

Members
  • Content Count

    213
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    3

Mk1R last won the day on October 11 2020

Mk1R had the most liked content!

About Mk1R

  • Rank
    Certified R Fan

Personal Information

  • Name
    Ron

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. The hope is to stay under 1000kg. it’s unlikely to stay red, but haven’t decided on the final colour just yet. Thanks
  2. Thanks for the post! The suspension geometry will definitely change when more weight is added, ie fuel tank, interior and doors etc. the mk1 is currently sitting on R estate suspension so it may turn out to be too stiff. This Geo check was mainly to check the fabrication work, how bent things were and to make sure the car will go in a straight line. Will definitely need setting up properly once complete with weight etc. Cheers
  3. After some time adjusting, we managed the following. as you can see the front end adjusted quite nicely There is two additional figures in the picture, 10.21 and 10.08 this refers to caster angle. Having similar values side to side is important for high speed stability. Caster angle helps the steering wheel to self centre and it causes negative camber during cornering which helps with grip. unfortunately the rear wasn’t playing ball, although the left rear came into spec the right rear had maxed out its adjustment. things are fundamentally there, I just need to understand how the mk7 rear suspension works a bit better.
  4. Here is picture of the geometry/wheel alignment as I presented the car. as you can see it was a mess. I’ll explain the figures (sorry if you know all this) starting from the top left (FRONT AXLE) -1.17 is the front left camber angle 0.33 is the front left toe (the wheel is turning inwards) -0.93 is total toe (both front wheel toe figures added together) -1.26 front right toe figure (the wheel is pointing outwards) -1.12 front right camber angle REAR AXLE -0.47 left rear camber angle -0.16 rear toe ( the wheel is pointing outwards) -0.39 overall thrust angle ( are the back wheels following the rear wheels in a straight line) -1.61 overall toe angle of the rear wheels -1.45 right rear toe angle ( wheel is pointing outwards massively) -1.09 right rear camber angle
  5. Onto the 4 wheel alignment. I must admit this was pretty nerve racking
  6. Satisfied that the subframes were in alignment to best of my ability. I wanted/needed final confirmation that things were right. I decided to book the mk1 in for a four wheel alignment. this would be a true indicator on how front and rear fabrication went. it was nice to see the mk1 out in some daylight.
  7. With the box sections now in on both sides, I wanted to check the alignment of the subframes. to make things a little easier to measure I made something called a trammel bar. This would allow me to quickly measure around the chassis, side to side and diagonally. it’s two square tubes which slide inside each other, the screws lock it into position.
  8. As I mentioned in a couple of posts earlier, I have a update to share with you. now that the main welding on the rear end has been completed, I have decided to work from rear to front. The main focus has been the passenger floor area, which I wanted to further strengthen up a bit. The mk1 is suffering a bit of corrosion here and there. the piece of box section added to floor is recycled from the mk7 donor, I’m hoping this will decrease some chassis flex.
  9. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post. I enjoy reading all the comments, questions and suggestions.
  10. Thanks for your kind words, I really appreciate it, many people on this thread have kept me motivated. In my head the plan is to get it running by sometime in June, not the bodywork just the conversion side of things. June will be 1 year since I started. hoping to have a couple more updates in the next couple of days. Thanks again
  11. Some seam seam sealer on the floor too, both underneath and inside.
  12. My next task was to seam seal some of the fabrication work to prevent water ingress. This is just the first stage.
  13. Next up was the nearside arch. This was pretty much similar, but a lot more simpler as I didn’t have the fuel filler neck or charcoal canister to deal with.
  14. Once happy, I cleaned the offside inner arch and sprayed a good amount of anti corrosion primer.
  15. The offside arch was a little trickier as I wanted to fit the charcoal canister in
×
×
  • Create New...