Holly Molly - Stu's R

Bugs2206

So after about 600 miles. It's probably time to do a quick write up.

Good points: Man this car is amazing. Despite the cliche, it does feel a lot more mature and capable than the GTI I had previously. That's likely due to the rear diff playing its part, along with the other generational improvements on the MK8.

• That's a lot of power. Big increase from what I'm used to. Still a little timid about it, but can't wait to learn to make the most of it properly.
  • Don't think I've had a car which puts such a big smile on my face, time after time.
  • Matrix LEDs. Fantastic bit of kit.
  • Travel assist. Another fab system. It certainly has its off moments, but as long as you keep on the ball it's really impressive.

Couple of gremlins so far, maybe annoying but certainly nothing I'm worried about.

• Get a message saying "Changing settings" each time I start it. If I choose "OK" it resets random settings back, like swipe down menu, or removes Tidal login details or navigation destinations. "Cancel" seems to leave them alone.
  • Didn't spec the Discover Pro, and it shows. It can never decide where to display the map. There's probably some clever logic behind it, but might take me a few more journeys to find out.
  • Wireless charging? yeah we know that's rubbish.

Couple of things I'm yet to resolve. Didn't get R branded keys, and wasn't given a USB cable. (Already had one so not a major issue though).

Definitely worth the 17 month wait, and glad I selected the options I did. To all those still waiting... Hang in there folks.

1362067718_20220815_200530-Copy.thumb.JPG.c3d5830af4bf118739a77a4b23a51d53.JPG

78749416_20220815_200717-Copy.thumb.JPG.900069eea651c26f385ad03cd1439fd3.JPG

1612238155_20220815_200617-Copy.thumb.JPG.31f7662467661786d80f76b070cccd19.JPG

Nice to hear your early thoughts Stuart, and sounds like on the whole you’re pleased with the move to the 8R.  Hopefully the gripes will work themselves out and the changing settings message will eventually cease.  

What’s the issue specifically with the nav map?  

Car looks absolutely superb.   I love the front end shot, after all the early design criticism it’s turned out be one of my favourite angles of the car.  

3 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Nice to hear your early thoughts Stuart, and sounds like on the whole you’re pleased with the move to the 8R.  Hopefully the gripes will work themselves out and the changing settings message will eventually cease.  

What’s the issue specifically with the nav map?  

Car looks absolutely superb.   I love the front end shot, after all the early design criticism it’s turned out be one of my favourite angles of the car.  

Thanks Becs. Nothing in particular wrong with the maps. It just moves from dash to infotainment sometimes.

E.g. when you use steering wheel to select a nav destination, and ok it to go, it moves the map to the infotainment and sometimes in doing so changes the dash view. I think it's doing a route confirmation or something. I'll give it a bit more of an explore over the next few weeks and update.

Yep. I didn't like the mk8 at first, but it's grown on me. And the noise! My GTI didn't make much noise but this is brilliant. Gives me a childish giggle on every pop or bang.

13 minutes ago, Bugs2206 said:

Thanks Becs. Nothing in particular wrong with the maps. It just moves from dash to infotainment sometimes.

E.g. when you use steering wheel to select a nav destination, and ok it to go, it moves the map to the infotainment and sometimes in doing so changes the dash view. I think it's doing a route confirmation or something. I'll give it a bit more of an explore over the next few weeks and update.

Yep. I didn't like the mk8 at first, but it's grown on me. And the noise! My GTI didn't make much noise but this is brilliant. Gives me a childish giggle on every pop or bang.

I’m sure you know this Stuart, but there is a dedicated dash ‘view’ that needs to be selected via the steering wheel View button in order to see the nav map on the dash.  It only displays in that view.   So is it just disappearing from that view and jumping back to the infotainment screen?  

I can’t remember now if the later cars without Pro Nav have the ability to have VW nav on infotainment and dash simultaneously, rather than switching between them as if the case with Pro nav.  If not it can be done with obdeleven Pro.  There’s a thread on it in the obdeleven section.  

The mk8 is definitely a better sounding car.  The 7R was pretty quiet too but the mk8R is has more noise and that gets even better as the miles go on.  My exhaust is much more vocal now I’ve got a good few miles on it. 

Yep fully aware don't worry. In all likelihood yes it is just swapping view.

And to confirm, no, it can't display on both. If it's on the infotainment, you get a message on the dash and have to press OK to swap it. If map is on the dash, the infotainment just shows a compass. Funny it was the other way around in the 7.5.

Just now, Bugs2206 said:

Yep fully aware don't worry. In all likelihood yes it is just swapping view.

And to confirm, no, it can't display on both. If it's on the infotainment, you get a message on the dash and have to press OK to swap it. If map is on the dash, the infotainment just shows a compass. Funny it was the other way around in the 7.5.

Weird, sounds like a glitch.  Hopefully it’ll work itself out otherwise something to tell the dealership.  

10 hours ago, Brad182 said:

Looks great man, what you doing about the R branded Keys? Did the dealer mention anything when handing them over? 

Not sure yet. She's actually a company car, and was delivered to the office so unfortunately I was never at the dealership. I've had a week off so now I'm back at work I'll be contacting the lease broker. (They instructed me to contact them with any issues). I'll update here once I know more. To be honest, it doesn't really bother me too much, just one of those things.

On 21/08/2022 at 22:44, Brad182 said:

Looks great man, what you doing about the R branded Keys? Did the dealer mention anything when handing them over? 

The dealer eventually posted the owed key covers and USB cable to me. Arrived the other day and an easy swap.

2001317995_20220826_125334-Copy.thumb.JPG.4bece4694ec0ffb0ba0a40ea9e822ceb.JPG

50 minutes ago, StuR said:

Hmmm my keys don’t have the R on them .. maybe I’ll try my arm for some of those R keys.

I would certainly give it a go, they should be included with a R. I think sometimes they just forget to swap them over. In my case they didn't even have to order them in and all but admitted forgetting to include them.

Still monitoring the situation, but seems the "Changing your settings" prompts have stopped for now.

And tidal login seems to have stuck, I just have to remember to turn my phone hotspot on before getting in the car, otherwise it goes 'offline'.

And with the maps. I thought it was fairly consistent, even learned the quick "view>ok" combo to change the view/map back. Then the other day the map stuck when selecting an address. So who knows lol!

More journeys required me thinks.