bromers

Oversteer

I was hoping the Golf R would be a bit tail happy with the 4WD systems ability to shift all the power to the rear. Pushing really hard into a dry quite tight 2nd gear corner got a little understeer but then just masses of grip and very little sideways movement. Going to have to going super fast or try in wet conditions to get this car to move around :)

With TC off I assume the 4WD system still works by applying power to the wheels with most grip ?

Anyone experienced any oversteer ?

Would be nice to have the ability to tweak the bias front and back - just like the good old days :)

Looking forward to snowy days as per VW test day videos :)

I was hoping the Golf R would be a bit tail happy with the 4WD systems ability to shift all the power to the rear. Pushing really hard into a dry quite tight 2nd gear corner got a little understeer but then just masses of grip and very little sideways movement. Going to have to going super fast or try in wet conditions to get this car to move around :)

With TC off I assume the 4WD system still works by applying power to the wheels with most grip ?

Anyone experienced any oversteer ?

Would be nice to have the ability to tweak the bias front and back - just like the good old days :)

Looking forward to snowy days as per VW test day videos :)

I hope you're going to do these "tests" on a track and not on a public road; it's totally irresponsible to be driving like that, you could cause a serious accident.

the 4WD systems ability to shift all the power to the rear.

That keeps getting quoted in the press but it's a bit misleading. It could only shift all the torque to the rear if the front had zero grip (up in the air for example). Given equal grip then the theoretical maximum torque to the rear can only be 50%. It will never be 'tail-happy' as such.

Haven't you read the reviews? :smiley:

It is not a tail happy car at all unless you are on snow.

What it does do and what makes it a step on from previous hot Golfs is that it's very neutral, works all 4 tyres evenly rather than ploughing into understeer at the first opportunity.

So if you want to be one of the quickest ground covering cars on the road rather than taking a magazine action photo it is the car to have.

Car mag review said (front wheel drive) Focus ST was stupidly tail happy, presumably with lift off oversteer and marked it down because of this.

Even some of the Road test superstars :cheesy::cheesy: are now realising that the point is certainly with

4 wheel drive cars anyway and perhaps a lot of 2 as well the object is to get from A to B as fast as is safely

possible for people without Bionic arms and lightening reactions on 30 foot wide one way road systems

unused by anyone else :cheesy::cheesy:

Even on track I couldn't really induce any oversteer, it's just not built to do it. I'm sure it's possible if you commit massively to the cause but that was way beyond my comfort zone in a brand new car. Once you drive to its strengths rather than try to go about like a hooligan it's immensely fast and brilliant fun. If you want to smoke tires like Chris harris you'll need a different vehicle. Luckily I have an m5 for tail out action...

i had my rear set up to give sharper turn in but not tail happy just way more responsive

Mmmm I wonder whether a bit of rear toe out might help it, but I guess the electronic systems still control all the power to the wheels.

If you want a tail happy car, you wouldn't buy a 4wd.

My old Integrale was pretty good at oversteering !!

My 911turbo is 4wd and oversteers beautifully , if my golf could do that it would be awesome :cry:

IMHO , VW deliberately set up the R to slightly understeer as a safety measure

If you want a tail happy car, you wouldn't buy a 4wd.

My old Integrale was pretty good at oversteering !!

My 911turbo is 4wd and oversteers beautifully , if my golf could do that it would be awesome :cry:

IMHO , VW deliberately set up the R to slightly understeer as a safety measure

I agree, for exactly this type of OP.

could you not just fit a haldex controller... ? same as we use to do with mk4's that came in ...

The Mk4 R32 even with Haldex Performance controller wouldn't be as rear driven as standard Mk7 R.