What if.....

The V2

Thought i'd post this here because I suppose it applies to lots of cars, not just Golf R's - (DSG) what if the start/stop button develops a fault and you can't turn the engine off?

Is there anyway to stop the engine, other than waiting to run out of petrol!?

40 minutes ago, The V2 said:

Thought i'd post this here because I suppose it applies to lots of cars, not just Golf R's - (DSG) what if the start/stop button develops a fault and you can't turn the engine off?

Is there anyway to stop the engine, other than waiting to run out of petrol!?

There is an emergency procedure.  From the manual (Golf mk8):

64FA5104-2495-49AC-B8B9-E07DEA488279.thumb.jpeg.a56c056f17503007add12bd1b1c4bcc7.jpeg

There is a fairly common fault with the Stop/Start button when it fails to register that you have pressed it.  If that is the case then I have my doubts that the emergency procedure  (pressing twice or press & hold) will always be effective.  I always advise people that if their Stop/Start button has been playing up they should get it replaced ASAP.  IIRC they can be purchased fairly cheaply on ebay etc.

I would hope that disconnecting the battery will confuse the various ECU's enough that at least one would stop the engine.  It is certainly what I would try first, and if that didn't work I'd look at disconnecting the HPFP or the ignition module, if that didn't work I'd pull out a fuel or ignition fuse.