E10 vs E5 Fuel

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

E10 only applies to ass grade standard fuel, premium is still E5, Filling up with anything but premium/high octane fuel on a golf R is sacrilege!    E10 will have reduced power compared

Suki, despite the change to E10, it’s still essentially bog standard fuel versus premium fuel, and there have been countless debates on the forum over the years about this subject.  If you’re bored on

E10 is worse for fuel economy. And a sneaky way for the government to get more tax off the motorist (ie the need to fill up more often).   https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-e10

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Suki said:

I wonder if there are any opinions on this? Sorry if this has been covered in another thread, but I have been filling up with E5 rather than E10 to be on the safe side.

Aer there any potential issues, short or long term with E10 in the R?

E10 only applies to ass grade standard fuel, premium is still E5,

Filling up with anything but premium/high octane fuel on a golf R is sacrilege! 

E10 will have reduced power compared to E5 and this will be on top of the reduced power you get going from 99 RON to 95 RON.

The only real long term issue of filling up with E10/non premium fuel is shame :D 

Suki, despite the change to E10, it’s still essentially bog standard fuel versus premium fuel, and there have been countless debates on the forum over the years about this subject.  If you’re bored one day, do a search and enjoy the heated debates, alongside justifications from both sides.  😁  The R of course can run on non premium E10 fuel (as well as E5) as per fuel filler cap sticker, and some parts of the country only have that, but most enthusiasts think it’s optimum performance (including mpg) will be realised using premium fuel, with its additives for the benefit of the engine.  I myself am a slave to the V-Power (E5) pump!  

This image is usually associated with this question. 😂

08EE890C-71A3-4283-94C4-FDE83ADDFF29.jpeg.c2aa2f2a86f83c60b6ba9f7e6b5bdae3.jpeg

Can confirm that the 8R is particularly hungry for good premium E5. Got my car back from an extended dealer stay with a ‘goodwill’ tank of fuel, turned out, despite my request that this was obviously boggo 95, the difference after a few tanks of V power in the midrange, and smoothness is incredible, more than I’ve experienced in other cars. The £1.50 a litre however is annoying!

On 14/09/2021 at 13:40, dopper99 said:

E10 is worse for fuel economy. And a sneaky way for the government to get more tax off the motorist (ie the need to fill up more often).

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-e10-fuel-could-reduce-cars-economy-10-cent

Ethanol has less calories per litre than petrol which has less calories than Diesel, hence less mpg

But..........Ethanol has a much higher octane rating than 'normal' petrol about 112/115 IIRC, the big HP TTRS/RS3 boys use an in line fuel flex device (detects Ethanol content %) and alters fueling and timing accordingly,

Just swapping to E85 alone they see huge hp increases but have to use around 30% more fuel, so bigger injectors etc

So E10 will have a lower octane petrol content with the Ethanol increasing the octane back to 95, but the laws of physics say although your car will adapt it cant do as many to the gallon