Hi guys,

Been looking around different tuners and MRC Tuning has caught my eyes as I’ve heard a lot of good reviews.

I’ve got 67 plate Golf R MK7.5 and looking to go stage 1. Has anyone recently got their car tuned there and what was the price if you don’t mind me asking? 

How does it drive now compared to stock?

Appreciate those who reply in advance. 

Take care VW gang!

Ray

D4B8D5FA-9547-4193-A30A-BBFB9FD2FFA6.jpeg

When I bought my Mk7 R, I wanted to take it straight to stage 2, as it wasn't particularly quick as standard.  It was between MRC and APR in the end.  I went with APR as there was a 25% offer on (which basically matched MRC prices) - that was about £1100 for engine and dsg stage 2 maps together.  It woud have been a distance for me to travel to MRC and there is an APR dealer close by.

I'm highly impressed with APR and would definitely use them again.  Alternatively, if I lived close to MRC, I would use them without hesitation - based on what other Mk7 R owners have fed back to me.

Hope this helps a bit.

I would also consider unicorn developments . Had a stage 1 off them 2 years ago as always felt underwhelmed with the standard golf r performance . Stage 1 unicorn changed all of that and car ran faultless for over 2 years . That’s exactly why car went back to Rick for my stage 2+/3 custom tune recently .  :) 💨💨💨

How much would a stage 2 be at unicorn?

1 hour ago, Benje said:

I would also consider unicorn developments . Had a stage 1 off them 2 years ago as always felt underwhelmed with the standard golf r performance . Stage 1 unicorn changed all of that and car ran faultless for over 2 years . That’s exactly why car went back to Rick for my stage 2+/3 custom tune recently .  :) 💨💨💨

18 minutes ago, Benje said:

You would be looking at around £850 for engine and tcu Dsg remap from what I can remember , which is well worth it , in my honest opinion. 

Must have gone up in price then? Unless the parts description wasn’t included when you got yours done?

Rayy

E17A41E1-30F0-4B18-AAA8-42A60A1E7857.jpeg

2 hours ago, Benje said:

I’ve never heard unicorn developments so will check them out and see how much they quote me. Rick? Does he work at unicorn developments? 

Ray

6 hours ago, Tinker10 said:

When I bought my Mk7 R, I wanted to take it straight to stage 2, as it wasn't particularly quick as standard.  It was between MRC and APR in the end.  I went with APR as there was a 25% offer on (which basically matched MRC prices) - that was about £1100 for engine and dsg stage 2 maps together.  It woud have been a distance for me to travel to MRC and there is an APR dealer close by.

I'm highly impressed with APR and would definitely use them again.  Alternatively, if I lived close to MRC, I would use them without hesitation - based on what other Mk7 R owners have fed back to me.

Hope this helps a bit.

Damn! You got it for a good price then with 25% discount! No idea when they’ll have a discount sale. I doubt any time soon!

Just now, r600_clubsport said:

just to jump on this abit, did anyone travel quite far for there tunes or just ideally go with nearest? 

I’m in London and Revo garage is the closest for me but heard Revo aren’t that great apparently as I seen some reviews.

14 minutes ago, Rayy said:

I’m in London and Revo garage is the closest for me but heard Revo aren’t that great apparently as I seen some reviews.

Hi, i had Revo on my fiesta. Revo are one of the biggest names in tuning, esp on ford/vag scene. Only issue for me personally....is that most the revo dealers round me are just flash on, no dyno avail. I was preferring for a map to be done/on dyno same time. Yes i could travel to get it put on a dyno elsewhere, but rather it all under one roof. That's the only thing putting me off. 

6 hours ago, Rayy said:

Also, is DSG tune really needed for stage 1?

Not mandatory for a DQ381 (7 sped) DSG, but a good TCU tune does make the car much nicer to drive in D (if you always drive in Manual mode not so much an advantage unless you use LC a bit)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Current Donation Goals